Saturday, March 31, 2007

Kumble says Good Bye to ODI cricket - who is next?

Anil Kumble, India's most successful leg spin bowler in one-day cricket and a perfect teamman, announced his retirement bringing the curtain down on his ODI career but making it clear he would be available for the Test matches.

"I wanted to go with the ball in my hand. It did not happen in the last World Cup. It feels a bit different to be a part of the team and not play. I was hurt at not being a part of the eleven but took it in my stride.

"I spoke to my colleagues and stayed on. This World Cup we had a good chance but unfortunately it did not go our way. Its time for me to end and pass the mantle to young players," said 37-year-old Kumble.

The expected announcement came a day after his return from the disastrous World Cup in the Caribbean. Despite his good performance in practice matches and against Bermuda (only official match he played in this world cup), he was not given the green card to play against Sri Lanka.

"It has been a one long journey that started in 1990. Today I formally announce my retirement from one-day cricket," Kumble told a press conference.

"I thought of giving up ODIs four years back. Actually right thoroughout my career I was fortunate enough to be a part of the team. It became a habit to be a part of the team," said Kumble, who has 337 ODI wickets from 271 one-dayers at an average of 30.89.

Kumble actually increased life of his Test career by few years or by few tests after retiring from ODI. His Test figure reads 547 wickets in 113 matches with an average of 28.65.

Kumble era is over, now who is next? - any taker

No comments: